Friday, February 5, 2010

Soriano: "I don't rule out anything"

Former Barcelona economic vice-president and possible presidential candidate Ferran Soriano gave an interview to Barcelona Informació, a monthly magazine published by the city of Barcelona, in which he also talked about the upcoming elections.


What does the period 2003-2008 mean for you?
A fabulous, unique experience, with a lot of suffering and a lot of hard work, but is there anything better than to work in a place you value highly? We found the club in one situation and we left it in a totally different one. I feel proud about it and I would do it again, despite the ups and downs and the suffering.

What have you learned from that period?
Many things, but one thing that has also helped me in my new job from day one is that when you're in a difficult situation or company, you have to make all changes together and very fast because people expect that you will act and are willing to help for the common good.

After one year, changes are more complicated. We did 80% of the changes we made at Barça during the first year. Later, everything became more difficult, when we weren't losing money anymore and had started to win games.

A sports paper said that at this moment only Soriano is missing in the presidential pre-campaign...
I feel satisfied about Barça. As I said before, I have made an enthusiastic and honest contribution to the club during five years and I honestly think we came out fairly well and that we did good things. Therefore, I've already made my contribution to Barça and I'm not anxious or restless about becoming president of Barça.

That doesn't mean I rule out a return because I like Barça a lot, as we all do, but it will depend on the current and future circumstances. I don't rule out anything, but as I said, it's not something that worries me.

Read more:
Soriano still not showing his cards
Poll result: What should Ferran Soriano do?
Two options left for Soriano

7 comments:

  1. It's a bit strange that only Soriano's name comes up now and then. I would be interested what Vicens and Ingla were doing since they left.

    Pep, do you have any information about them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The people that left in 2008, and certainly the trio Soriano-Ingla-Vicens, are seen as one group, chris. It's generally expected that Vicens and Ingla will be where Soriano will be. That's why the media are focusing on the main man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also expect that this trio will move together, that's why I find it strange that most of the time they are not even mentioned when the question comes up "What will Ferran Soriano do?". (Even though Soriano always attracted more attention than the other two.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. they are sometimes mentioned. i have to say that i haven't really commented on the soriano rumours a lot because they mostly have too little substance to make a full post. i'm planning an overview of all the rumours in a couple of posts but I need to find the time for it.

    but basically: when you read something about soriano, ingla and vicens are implicitly part of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, I miss the guy. He seemed to be the only one who did his job well without pointing at himself for credit.

    I hate to ask this but is it true that Soriano's wife passed away? I don't recall which BCN based paper said it but I do recall seeing him get married in that BBC Documentary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is true, IBES. And coincidentally I've read a couple of days ago that he is expected to remarry in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Malo. Good to see the guy moved on but man, it will be tough to watch that BBC documentary and feel sad for him. Thanks jefe.

    ReplyDelete