Monday, March 1, 2010

All options are still open for Soriano

Asked if he will take part in the elections for president of FC Barcelona in June, former Barcelona economic vice-president Ferran Soriano has said in an interview with Catalan radio station RAC 1 that he is now thinking about what his role could be in the upcoming elections:

"I dont think this is the moment to make a lot of electoral noise. What the candidates are doing now is presenting themselves to the people, showing their face, talking a bit, but in my point of view things will really get interesting when people will explain their projects, when they will bring forward their ideas about what they want to do with Barça, the club we all love.

But so there's a lot of time left for that and I think it's better for everyone that we don't make too much noise now but that we instead have a lot of intense debates when the moment is there. But of course I respect the choice of everyone, this is just my opinion.

There's little truth in the rumours that link me to the candidacy of Alfons Godall. I know Alfons Godall because I have been many years at Barça together with him. To me, he seems an intelligent, honest and capable man. Just like I know Jaume Ferrer, who has also been there for quite a while. I'm talking with them, but there won't be anything concrete before everything starts.

Running for president, being part of a candidacy or staying at home and not taking part in an active way? All options are open for me at this moment. My focus on and my work for Spanair over the last month hasn't allowed me to think about other things.

Now I could do that and everything is possible. What you can expect from me is that I will take part in a constructive way, in favour of the club. I want to help Barça because I love this club a lot, like all of us. And fratricidal wars in the end don't help a lot.


I can clearly say that it's false that I would have signed a document that I could not take up a task at FC Barcelona while being the chairman of Spanair. It wouldn't make sense since my position at Spanair is compatible with other positions. And there are many examples of that.

Traditionally, the president of Barça or of Madrid is someone who also does something else to earn money. Like I said, there are many examples. Nothing happened to the company of Josep Lluís Núñez while he was president of Barça, noting happened to ACS because Mister Pérez is currently the president of Real Madrid, and so on.

Let's not forget that the president, the vice-presidents and the other directors of Barça don't get paid, so you need something besides that. As a consecuence, I could combine the post of president of Barça with that of chairman of Spanair. Nobody at Spanair has said me that I couldn't do that, and that wouldn't be reasonable either.

How is my current relationship with Barcelona president Joan Laporta? Correct. And with Sandro Rosell? I haven't seen or talked with Sandro for years now. In fact, there's a big difference between the two cases. I have worked toghether with Laporta for five years and Sandro has only been there for a very short period."

Read more:
Soriano could lead united board candidacy
What will the original 2003 board members do?
Soriano repeats wish to play role in elections

No comments:

Post a Comment